Monday, September 28, 2009

Challenges

September 26, 2009

I’ve often thought that how I feel as a person and more specifically as a Christian has to do with how I meet the daily challenges that come at me. There are some days where every little thing is a crisis and others where the world seems to be crashing around me and yet I’m as calm as can be. What is the difference in those days? How can I react with grace to challenges on a daily basis? I’ve found that when I’m connecting with God daily I react with grace, love and patience…and when I’m not…I don’t.

I felt compelled to share that…I would love to hear your thoughts. Anyway – about our adventure…

We’ve been getting ramped up to leave Anchorage and when we woke up Thursday morning there was snow on the mountains – that made us nervous. We had been planning on leaving Friday evening and just going to Palmer – a short “shake down” cruise if you will. Thursday night came with a realization that there was a lot more to do than we thought – so I decided not to go to my class Friday and try to get everything done and still leave on time. We spent the better part of Friday just getting things ready – one last trip to the storage unit etc (and another phone call to Stephanie asking if she thought she was going to deliver our granddaughter tonight!). We got the truck in the trailer and lashed down, then the trailer hooked up to the RV, then we set the brakes on the trailer…and thought we were ready to go. The last thing we always do before we leave a spot is a final walk around and check all of the lights…and that’s when we found out that not all of the trailer lights would work…

So what to do now? I know I had visions of a major rewiring project – I’m not sure what Scott was thinking because as usual I was talking and he was silently thinking. Thank God for my husband. He thought about it for a little while – and I called my friend Cathy to ask her and Steve to pray for us. Then Scott started doing research on the electrical schematics and figured out what needed to be done. At that point we decided to stay put since it was getting dark. After a good night’s sleep Scott went outside and started working on the electrical – and had it fixed within the hour!

After another errand (our friend Gregg came and got us so we wouldn’t have to take the truck back out of the trailer) we were ready to go. We made one more phone call to Stephanie (no baby yet!) and headed down the road! We stopped in Palmer to make sure the truck was still with us and then drove on to Gakona (which is about 20 miles northwest of Glenallen). Parts of the road were very rough so it was slow going but it was very beautiful.

When we went to get settled into the RV park I noticed that an old friend had signed in just above our name! It was so good to see Lucy and her parents…

No comments:

Post a Comment