Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Various Summer Happenings

Sorry this is the wrong direction...it was oriented correctly originally but in this format it flipped itself. O-well. Anyway - these are Michael's Dolphins - he went out on his first submarine tour this summer and got qualified. Not having any experience with Navy life I had no idea what this meant but I guess it's a pretty big deal since we got the following letter...
I have to admit I cried when I read this...we are very proud of Michael and his service to our country. He has made the decision to re-enlist and is considering making this a career.

This is a turkey who spend the day in my Mom's yard fighting his reflection in the bumper! My brother suggested he would look good on the Thanksgiving table but I have to admit all I thought of was what a pain it would be to clean him...


We came to the realization this spring that it was a huge pain to try to find places to park our trailer once we got to the RV parks - so we made the decision to sell it. Of course with the economy being so bad there isn't much of a market so we ended up donating it to Habitat to Humanity. Of course we still needed something to put our bikes in (our bikes live better than some people...) so we had a box custom made to store them in. When we are parked the box comes down by hydraulics so it's very easy to reach. The other big purchase we made this summer was the jeep - we've always wanted one and we decided it was time...so stay tuned for a future blog from Moab, Utah for Jeep Jamboree!

Oh My! Okay...those weren't quite the words we used when this happened...
We were driving along a highway (no underpass in sight) and something hit our window going at a high rate of speed. We never found out what it was but I can tell you that there was glass everywhere - in my hair, the seat and as far back as the kitchen! We were very thankful as it could have been much worse. The best part? About 6 months ago we switched auto policies - Geico offers a windshield coverage for $15 every 6 months that has a $50 deductible - we called them and they had a mobile glass company out there within a week! They told us it would have cost close to $1,000!

I realized after my last blog that I've gotten bad about posting pictures of some of the side trips we take and places we explore - so I will try to get better. This picture was taken from the ferry dock in Port Townsend. It was a rare beautiful fall day - Michael and I enjoyed it by taking the top off the jeep and going on a road trip!

A beautiful old building in Port Townsend taken from the ferry - I have no idea what it is but I thought it was beautiful.


Mt Baker...my friends in high school used to go skiing on this mountain in the late spring and get in trouble for skipping school (you know who your are!). :)


In 1946 my Dad was 18 years old and he bought this property on Lake Bosworth (east of Everett) for $500 ($50 down and $50 per month). Over the years many friends (and all of the 6 kids) spent hours building and working on the landscaping. I spent most every weekend on this property playing, working (no matter what my older brothers comment - I worked too!). It was an incredible blessing.


A view of the beach from the neighbors dock. Michael and I sat on the dock and had lunch...


This is the lake - no motorboats are allowed so it made a great swimming lake...


We got on the ferry as the sun was setting and ended up at the end of the line so we had a perfect departing shot of Seattle. I wish I had the talent and the proper equipment to get a good picture - it would have been a great one of the waterfront. Notice the moon coming up on the left hand side of the picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment